A facelift, which is known medically as rhytidectomy, is a type of cosmetic surgery that will lift up and pull back the skin so that your face appears smoother and tighter.
This procedure is designed to reduce sagging or loose skin around your neck and the lower half of your face, especially the jowls.
There are several things you can do to prepare for a facelift.
Dr. Lanfranchi will always start every treatment with a consultation, so this can be discussed with you in detail.
Nevertheless, when preparing for a facelift, some of the things you may be asked to do are as follows:
- Avoid taking herbal supplements, anti-inflammatory drugs, or aspirin, as they can increase bruising and bleeding
- Reduce smoking
- Starting a regime of ‘Arnica Montana’ before the procedure to reduce bruising & swelling
- Apply certain products to the skin on your face prior to the procedure
- Adjust your current medications or take certain medications
- Get a medical evaluation
The requirements will differ from person-to-person, which is why the consultation is so important.
After you have had a facelift, Dr. Lanfranchi will place a bandage around your face to minimize the bruising and swelling. The most swelling and uncomfortable part of recovery will subside after approximately one week. Full recovery can take two to four weeks, with gradual improvements following for months after your procedure.
Your doctor will give you specific instructions on how to care for incision sites, as well as any medications you need to take.
Benefits of a Facelift
This procedure offers many benefits, including:
- It can remove jowls that obscure the jawline
- Frown lines and wrinkles can be reduced
- Excess fat is removed
- A facelift can create an invigorated, energetic, and youthful facial appearance
- It can tighten and lift sagging skin